Your assignment for Module 4 is to create a short, 2-3 minute photo slide-show, video or audio piece. The goal of this assignment is to give you the tools to support your written work and bring your voice to a larger audience. You can do your assignment on whatever topic you feel passionate about. However, just remember that we are looking for stories that promote global issues through the eyes of women that are solutions-oriented.
One suggestion is to take your favorite story from the program (Module 1-3 assignments) and create a photo slide-show, audio piece or video that complements your written story. We do not expect you to have perfected the art of making multimedia stories in this module! You can do a video or photo-slide show that is simple, without text or sound.
You should have enough tips in the materials to understand how to put together an impactful multimedia story just by using images alone. If you need help with any part of this assignment, please contact our team and your mentors immediately.
We have Editorial Mentors prepared to help you with all your technical questions.
In preparation for this assignment, we suggest that you:
- List all the possible topics you might want to do a multimedia story on.
- If you'd like feedback on possible story angles, post it to the Correspondents and Mentors Group.
- Narrow your list to two to three subjects. It's important to have a back-up plan in case your first choice doesn’t work out.
- Draft an outline of how you’d want your multimedia story to look.
- Take your photos or shoot your video.
- Do some basic editing.
- Ask our team if you need any technical assistance.
- Send a draft to your Editorial Mentor and Vision Mentor so they can comment on your story.
- Upload your multimedia story to one of the online sites we’ve suggested in the materials, and provide a hyperlink in your personal journal by the due date.
*Remember, editing takes time! Make sure to plan wisely and remember to get consent!
- Your story should be 2-3 minutes long.
- Upload your multimedia story to one of the online sites we've suggested in the materials and provide a link in your personal journal by October 21st, 2013.
- You must tag your assignment with "2013 VOF Module 4" (without the quotation marks.)
- At the end of your journal post, please copy and paste the following text:
<em>This multimedia story is part of an assignment for <a href="https://www.worldpulse.com/en/pulsewire/programs/world-pulse-voices-of-o...">Voices of Our Future</a> a program of World Pulse that provides rigorous digital empowerment and citizen journalism training for grassroots women leaders. World Pulse lifts and unites the voices of women from some of the most unheard regions of the world.</em>
It will appear like this:
This multimedia story is part of an assignment for Voices of Our Future, a program of World Pulse that provides rigorous digital empowerment and citizen journalism training for grassroots women leaders. World Pulse lifts and unites the voices of women from some of the most unheard regions of the world.
Safety and Security Reminder
Your safety and security is always important to us. When you choose the topic for your assignments, always make sure to consider your safety—and the safety of your subjects--first. We want to hear what is going on in your country and community, but not at the risk of your life or well-being.
Carefully consider the implications of an article that criticizes government, important figures or a contentious issue on your safety.