The Open Technology Fund (OTF) is currently accepting applications for the Rapid Response Fund to facilitate the digital emergency response community to resolve threats in a timely and comprehensive manner for individuals, communities, and organizations whose free expression has recently been repressed.
OTF offers both direct financial support as well as technical services from trusted partners to high-risk people and organizations, such as bloggers, cyber activists, journalists, and human rights defenders.
We provide grants for a period of six months or less for individuals or groups carrying out efforts such as:
• Establishing new Internet connections (such as VPNs) when existing connections have been cut off or are being restricted;
• Providing personal digital protection for online journalists, human rights defenders, NGOs, activists and bloggers;
• Rapid development of tools or translations needed to respond adequately to emergencies;
• Developing decentralized, mobile Internet applications that can link computers as an independent network (mesh or delay-tolerant networks);
• Any appropriate response to digital emergencies not listed above.
Utilize This Offer
1. Can be of all ages irrespective of nationality, creed or sex;
2. Must demonstrate skill and ability to conduct rapid response work;
3. Must have intimate knowledge of the communities they are working with, and the digital threats they experience.
4. Cannot be from countries that the United States has trade restrictions or export sanctions as determined by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
The Rapid Response Fund offers two types of support to organizations, activists, journalists, and other human rights defenders facing digital attacks and emergencies of various kinds:
a) technological services from trusted service partners and
b) direct financial support for the many needs that cannot be fulfilled by available service partners.
The Rapid Response Fund does not provide support for projects that are more long-term in nature or that aim to build digital security capacity among groups or organizations.
Support is only available through the Rapid Response Fund when there is a clear time-sensitive digital emergency in which an applicant is seeking short-term and urgent support.
Average support amounts are between 5,000 and 25,000 USD.
OTF accepts applications on a rolling basis.
Before completing a submission, we strongly encourage you to review our Terms of Service.
For more information, please visit https://www.opentech.fund/funds/rapid-response-fund/