Netflix has partnered with UNESCO to launch a short film competition, “African Folktales, Reimagined,” to find the bravest, wittiest, and most surprising retellings of some of Africa’s most-loved folktales.
This is an open call for emerging filmmakers from across Sub-Saharan Africa, many of whom are located in parts of the continent that are often overlooked.
They value the wide diversity of African cultures and want to promote them globally.
They encourage any emerging filmmaker from Sub-Saharan Africa with a story to tell to go for it!
So if the brief (“African Folktales, Reimagined”) strikes a chord with you, get involved.
Utilize This Offer
1. You are under 35 years old;
2. You are a citizen and resident of a Sub-Saharan African country;
3. You are a filmmaker with limited experience, but:
a) you have developed and produced 1- to 2 theatrical feature films, television fiction, documentaries, or 2-3 short films and / or commercials seeking to venture into feature film development and production;
b) you have a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 5 years of demonstrable professional experience in the audio-visual industry.
4. Proposals can be submitted in English, French, or Portuguese.
5. This competition invites submissions from emerging filmmakers across Sub-Saharan Africa on the theme of “African Folktales, Reimagined”.
Folktales have always played an important role in the heritage of a culture, passing down values, knowledge, and customs from one generation to the next. Knowledge that builds communities, nations and unites the world in shared understanding and experience.
They believe Africa’s rich history of storytelling, from universal tales to hyper-local fables, provides a fertile ground for creative retelling.
This is an opportunity to reimagine the relevance of these tales to the contemporary society and extend them to the world stage on-screen: a celebration of Africa’s profoundly varied culture, folklore, and heritage.
Each of the 6 winners will receive:
• a production grant of USD$75,000 to develop, shoot, and post-produce their films which will be administered by a nominated local production agency. Within each film’s budget, teams must ensure that filmmakers and everyone involved in the production is fairly paid.
Applications close on November 14th, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. GMT.
For more information, please visit https://www.netflix-growcreative.com/unesco/