The National Geographic Society’s Grants Program - Level I Funding provides seed funding and support to early career individuals who are working to address critical challenges, advance new solutions, and inspire positive transformation across all seven continents.
Utilize This Offer
Who Should Apply?
1. If you have not yet received a grant from the National Geographic Society, are working to establish yourself further in your field, hope to gain more experience leading projects, and are interested in joining the National Geographic Explorer community, you may apply for a Level I grant for one-year long projects.
2. You must be 18 or older to apply for a National Geographic Society grant.
3. If you are working on a project outside your home country or community, you must include at least one local collaborator on your team who is significantly involved in the project.
4. You may submit a proposal as the project leader for only one project at a time.
5. The individual responsible for carrying out the project should write the application and be listed as the project leader.
We award grants to individuals working on bold, innovative, and transformative projects in science, conservation, storytelling, education, & technology that align with one or more of our focus areas:
• Human History and Cultures
• Human Ingenuity.
Level I grants receive funding up to USD$20,000 and offer unique opportunities for training, networking, coaching, mentorship, and more from fellow National Geographic Explorers, experts, staff, partners, and forums.
Project start dates should be a minimum of six months after the submission deadline to ensure any awarded funds are received in time.
We only accept applications that are submitted through our online portal. Please do not mail or email your application.
All applications are due by November 18, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
For more information, please visit https://www.nationalgeographic.org/funding-opportunities/grants/