The African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) is a grant making foundation that supports local, national and regional women’s organisations working towards the empowerment of African women and the promotion and realization of their right.
AWDF aims to build up an autonomous base for gender equality and development, supporting movements and initiatives of women that ordinarily do not have access to mainstream sources of funding for reasons of capacity, language, geographical location, and marginalization.
Focus on HIV/AIDS
◾The fund focus on supporting organisations that provide critical community support for the prevention, treatment, and care of HIV and AIDS for women and their families.
◾These organisations and groups strive to protect the rights of women living with HIV and AIDS, and seek to reduce the stigma of against those living with these diseases. They encourage leadership among these people, and seek to achieve greater accountability from governments and policy makers in supporting them.
◾These efforts may result in projects that support HIV prevention, economic empowerment, training, advocacy, research, and care and support.
◾In turn, these organisations will seek to achieve the following goals:
- Better access to prevention, treatment and care services for HIV and AIDS. This may include increasing the numbers of people who receive HIV prevention messages, care, and support.
- More strong, visible female leaders living openly with HIV and AIDS, and stronger feminist movements and advocates within these communities.
- More support groups and networks for women living with HIV.
- A higher number of women living with HIV and AIDS who have received start-up capital to expand income-earning opportunities.
- A reduction in stigma against women living with HIV and AIDS, and increased incomes for women living with these diseases.
- Greater accountability on HIV issues from governments and policy makers.
◾Local, national, sub-regional or regional organisations, from any part of Africa are eligible to apply.
◾Organisations must be led and managed by women.
◾Applying organisations should have basic organizational systems and structures in place, and must be at least three years old.
How to Apply
◾Interested applicants can apply by submitting their applications online via given website.
◾Applicants can also apply by downloading the application form and submitting it by post at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit http://awdf.org/hivaids/