The Orange Group proactively supports social business initiatives associating New Information and Communications Technologies in Africa and the Middle East.
As such, since 2011, the Orange Group has run a "social venture" competition, which rewards Projects that launch a new product or a new service which meets the triple objective of: contributing to societal development, developing an innovative offering and integrating digital technologies in the entrepreneurial solution.
Having become a benchmark contest, the Orange Social Venture Prize in Africa and the Middle East (POESAM) is celebrating its 10th anniversary. Every year, it rewards the best technological projects with a positive impact in Africa and the Middle East.
To mark its 10th anniversary, Orange will reward even more start-ups, with the launch of the international women’s prize worth €20,000 and the addition of a “special prize” worth €10,000 specific to this edition.
The competition is organised in two stages: first a national competition in 17 countries; then an international jury chooses the Grand Prix winners.
A total of 5 prizes will therefore be awarded by the international Grand Prix jury.
For the international Grand Prix, awards are as follows:
> 1st prize: the payment of an amount of €25,000 (twenty-five thousand euros).
> 2nd prize: the payment of an amount of €15,000 (fifteen thousand euros).
> 3rd prize: the payment of an amount of €10,000 (ten thousand euros).
> One women’s prize: the payment of an amount of €20,000 (twenty thousand euros).
> One special 10th-year prize: the payment of an amount of €10,000 (ten thousand euros).
Furthermore, support will be proposed to the 3 international Grand Prix winners in the form of monthly telephone meetings during which the winners will present a progress report. They will benefit from advice given by business and finance professionals. If the award is attributed to a team, it will be awarded to the Project team leader who filled in the entry form.
1. Natural persons (individuals) aged over 21 years at the date of the initiation of the Competition, from eligible countries;
2. Legal persons (individuals or private organisations) from eligible countries, and able to prove that they have run their business activity for less than three (3) years on the day the Competition is initiated, with access to the internet and an email address;
3. The Project must involve Information and Communications Technologies and have a societal impact;
4. The Project must concern a territory or a geographical market containing at least one eligible country from the African continent and the Middle East region;
5. The Participant undertakes to fill in all the mandatory fields of the entry form accurately, in order to validate their participation and be contacted should they win.
Utilize This Offer
The Orange Social Venture Prize is awarded to entrepreneurs and start-up organizations that make innovative use of technology in agriculture, energy, and other fields of development.
Prizes range from €10 thousand to €25 thousand, plus professional support for a period of six months.
The eligible countries are Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Dem Rep Congo, Ivory Coast, Egypt, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Jordan, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Niger, Congo, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Tunisia.
The Competition will be held between 9 March 2020 (09:00am GMT) and 05 June 2020 (9:00pm GMT).
For more information please visit https://startup.orange.com/en/orange-social-venture-prize/