The Draper Richards Kaplan (DRK) Foundation seeks to dramatically improve the lives of people and the world around us through innovative strategies, systems changing approaches, and disrupting technologies.
Our goal is to find social entrepreneurs with dynamic ideas and nurture them at the early stages with maximum leverage and total commitment.
The DRK Foundation is inviting proposals for its grants program to support outsized impact through entrepreneurs and enterprises that create a transformational paradigm shift to meaningfully address a pressing societal problem affecting people’s lives and to achieve substantial positive change in the world.
a) Evidence of focused alignment, systemic social change, data-based decision making.
b) Leaders who are continually learning and iterating and welcome a deep working relationship with DRK for 3 years.
c) Leaders who intimately understand the opportunity and the communities they serve.
d) Leaders committed to advancing justice, equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging for all.
e) Organizations who are designed to realize their impact at scale.
Utilize This Offer
Eligibility Criteria: Organizations
1) addressing a critical social or environmental issue as the focus of their work;
2) operating in Africa, Europe, India, Latin America, and the United States;
3) whose founders who intend to expand their impact significantly over time;
4) independent nonprofit and impact first, mission-driven for-profit entities, including US 501(c)3 and its non-US equivalents, C corporations, B corporations, and hybrid organizations.
5) fiscally sponsored organizations in select cases where there is a plan to spin out (in the experience, independence creates stronger enabling conditions for growth);
6) post-pilot, pre-scale organizations. This typically means:
a) Your program, product or service is already in the market or in the field;
b) You have early indication that your model is having its intended impact.
c) Your organization is 3-5 years old (this is not a rule, but a guidepost).
7) organizations with one or more founders who are full-time or intend to be;
8) whose founders value diversity of people proximate to the problem at hand and a commitment to foster justice, equity, inclusion, and belonging practices.
Selection criteria and process:
1. Submit Applications | 6 Weeks.
The Foundation has a rolling online application process throughout the year; there is no deadline to apply. After each application is received, it is carefully reviewed by a Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation staff member. Based on their appraisal of the fit of the venture with their investment style, they select approximately 25% of applications to move to a first interview. Those not invited will receive an email around six weeks after submission to bring the process to a close.
2. First Interview: Exploratory Phase | 1-2 Months.
3. Due Diligence + Follow-on Interviews | 1-2 Months.
4. Final Diligence: Planning and Scheduling | 1-2 Months.
5. Grant Awarded | 3-6 Months.
DRK investments are distributed twice a year over a three-year term. A senior member of the DRK team, most frequently the team member who led the diligence process, will join the board of the organization for the 3-year term to actively support the entrepreneur to build capacity in the social venture to scale and realize their goals.
For more information, please visit https://www.drkfoundation.org/apply-for-funding/what-we-fund/