UN Women, the United Nations entity for gender equality and the empowerment of women, was created to accelerate progress towards the fulfillment of their rights around the world.
UN Women assists UN Member States in setting international norms and standards for achieving gender equality and works with governments and civil society to develop laws, policies, programs and services needed to implement these standards.
Building on the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN-Women works to eliminate discrimination against women and girls; empowerment of women; and achieving equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, the protection of human rights, humanitarian action and the advancement of peace and security.
With women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN-Women leads and coordinates the efforts of the United Nations system to ensure commitments to gender equality and gender mainstreaming. UN-Women provides coherent leadership and support for the priorities and efforts of Member States, forging effective partnerships with civil society and other stakeholders.
UN-Women is seeking to hire Local Consultants with expertise in the following GEWE and EVAW areas:
Legal and policy reform and legislative drafting on the elimination of violence against women and girls; gender-sensitive language in legislation and various administrative guidelines and instructions;
Access to basic services and development of standards for the provision of comprehensive services for survivors, strengthening of institutions;
Access to justice: jurisprudence, criminal and civil legislation, horizontal and vertical interaction of responsible state bodies;
Prevention of violence against women and girls: advocacy and changing social norms, establishing evidence-based causality; legal aid for women and girls and their families; psychological support; awareness raising for men and boys;
Data collection on violence against women and girls: conducting qualitative and quantitative research, quality control of research data, experience with administrative data.
The consultant will be under the direct supervision and reporting to the Kazakhstan Office Programme Specialist/ Country Representative.
Utilize This Offer
Required Skills and Experience
1. Technical requirements:
• Degree in jurisprudence, international law, social science or an area relevant to the requirements of the TOR.
• At least 5 years of professional experience in one of the above areas (provide links to publications, studies, draft laws, etc. to confirm technical knowledge and experience).
• Demonstrated experience in implementing changes in legislation and programs on gender equality and the elimination of violence against women and girls; and in developing a results-oriented program based on indicators and quality reporting.
• Proven organizational experience in building strategic partnerships in the country with government agencies, women-led organizations, CSOs and other partners.
• Demonstrated experience in developing quality research methodology, including consultation with government and non-government partners, and extensive analytical review of documents.
• Excellent knowledge of the principles of results-based management.
• Experience in developing and delivering training programs, toolkits, assessment, and monitoring matrices, and mentoring in the above areas.
• Knowledge of human / women's rights treaties (international and national).
• Contacts among state and non-state partners.
2. Languages Required:
Successful candidates will be awarded contracts for 2 calendar years, depending on the needs of UN-Women. Based on each individual technical task, the contract will indicate the full scope of work to be performed, the number of working days and the daily rate of payment will be fixed in accordance with the financial proposal provided.
Payment for the work / services will be made de facto according to the days worked and the contract daily rate and only after the positive certification of the work / services by the responsible staff of UN Women
As this is a retainer contract, the consultant will be paid either at the end of each requested piece of work or monthly (depending on volume of work assigned).
Each candidate must also provide a daily rate fee in Kazakhstan Tenge.
Application Deadline: 19-Apr-21 at Midnight New York, USA.
For more information please visit