On the 9th of March 2019, in celebration of International Women’s day on the theme, ”Balance for Better”, Sowing Seeds of Tumaini together with World Pulse, Inspire it Online, KYUSA and SAFY Uganda we held a whatsapp discussion. We had 45 participants from Uganda, United States of America, Mali, Ghana, Philippines, India and Kenya. We had a very successful discussion on “How to build a gender balanced world”.
This event was moderated by Adanna from Inspire It Online from Nigeria and we believe it went quite well for an event that was organized on short notice. We were able to network with both men and women from different countries and we had some interesting recommendations that included the following:-
1. That it is the work of both men and women to create an environment where there is gender equality and equity
2. We need to sensitize the communities on all gender related issues with emphasis on the girl child
3. We have to work with law enforcement institutions to carb gender related violence
4. More organizations need to help women at the grass root level
5. There need for change in policies that favor one gender over the other.
6. We women need to work together because a collective voice has more impact than an individual voice.
We at Sowing Seeds of Tumaini look forward to many more collaborations and we pledge to continue fighting for the equal rights of women and girls in society. We pledge to protect and promote the rights of the women and girls economically, socially and culturally and we pledge to continue amplifying their voices so that they can be recognized.