The negetive effects of the animal industry to the climate and our bodies is fast increasing. At Happy World (Peace & Green Village), we encourage people to shift to a plant based healthy lifestyle. Here are a few recipes we have put in place for you.
VEGAN MEAT (Meat Alternatives) RECIPES
INGREDIENTS – Soya Beans and water
- Wash the soya beans and soak for a minimum of 08 hours in clean water or overnight.
- Drain and rinse it thoroughly. Grind to form a paste, adding some clean water while grinding.
- Add water in the mashed soybeans and stir for some minutes.
- Then squeeze the soymilk through a thin clean cloth.
- Add vanilla flavor, ginger juice, or citron leave; then boil the soya milk for at least 25 minutes.
- While boiling, make sure you keep stirring from time to prevent it from burning and/or sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- When it boils, turn the heat to medium, and keep it at a boiling level until 25 minutes is up.
- The soy milk is now ready for consumption or for production of tofu(soya meat)
- Sugar can be added according to taste
- It can be served hot or cold.
- Refrigerate to store.
TOFU (SOYABEANS MEAT)
INGREDIENTS: 1 litter of soya bean milk, concentrated lemon juice or vinegar.
- While boiling the soya bean milk above, Put ¼ cup of concentrated lemon juice or vinegar
- Add a pinch of salt
- Stir well and let it boil for over 30 minutes
- By this time, the soy milk should be in small solid forms(curded), and sink down the container
- If the whitish soy milk is still visible, add a little more lemon juice or vinegar till no milk is seen. There should only be brownish water seen floating on the curded milk.
- With a napkin cloth, filter the extra water and let the soya solids cool for about 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the solid soya so that no water is left in it (can be used here to prepare tofu omelette)
- Cut into cubes and fry in vegetable oil until it becomes light brown.
- Can be used as meat to prepare any dish of your choice.
INGREDIENTS – 1kg wheat flour (sold in traditional markets can make servings for 3 to 5 persons)
- Mix flour with cold water and knead into a hard dough
- Put the dough in cold water for at least 30 minutes
- Wash the dough in cold water using a colander. The dough should be inside the colander during the washing process. Continuously mix the dough with the tips of your fingers while rinsing with clean water.
- Repeat the process about 3 to 4 times until no whitish water comes out of the dough. While washing. Continually compress the dough while washing to avoid scattering the dough.
- The remnant in the colander will be a brownish sticky substance (gluten)
- Cut the gluten into small pieces and put in boiling water to cook. Add salt, Maggi, onion or any spice of your choice.
- Strain the water and fry in hot oil
- Can be used as meat to prepare any meal of your choice
- Refrigerate to store.
INGREDIENTS: 1kg of egusi, ½ cup vegetable oil, seasoning, salt, pepper (optional) ginger, garlics, onions, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 tablespoon of white pepper, fresh plantain leaves and ropes.
- Warm plantain leaves on fire and cut the leaves into squares
- Grind egusi to powder form (in any local grinding mill)
- Grind ginger, garlics, onions, pepper, white and black pepper
- Boil the above spices in ½ litter of water with salt and seasoning to taste
- Take the pot off the fire and let it cool for about 5 minutes
- Pour the ground egusi into the pot of spices and mix together with vegetable oil
- At this point the mixture should be in paste form
- Prepare the pot for steaming by putting water to boil on fire
- Distribute the paste into 6 to 10 plantain leaves and tie into bundles and place them in the pot of boiling water to cook
- Let it cook for at least 1 hour while adding water in the pot from time to time
- The egusi meat is ready. It can be eaten with yam, plantains etc
- It can be cut into slices and used as meat in any meal of your choice
- It can be fried in oil to get a different taste and for storage purposes.
NB: Mushroom can be used as substitute for meat too
ENJOY YOUR MEAL!!!
These recipes are brought to you by HAPPY WORLD (Peace & Green Village), Mile 7, Mankon- Bamenda, North West Region Cameroon.
For more information, contact Tel: 677 485 966 or 677 519 677