This may sound like an unusual connection to you.
“Sleep and weight loss? How am I supposed to lose weight? In my dreams”?
That’s all right, you can be skeptical at this point. But this method actually works and science backs it too!
Let’s dig deep and see why sleeping is important in maintaining an ideal weight.
- Sleep deprivation leads to impulsivity
Sleep deprivation messes with the part of your brain that controls impulses. Ordinarily, you would stop after eating a couple of slices of pizza or a piece of cake. However, sleep deprivation could cause you to eat the whole pizza, or most of the cake before you can even think about it.
- Lack of sleep changes your dietary choices
What do you crave for when you can’t sleep at night?
You answer would most likely be pizza, burgers, chocolates, cakes, and so on. That’s why sleep deprivation is so dangerous.
Research shows that you are more likely to eat sugary and salty stuff at night time than any other time of the day. Moreover, when you can’t sleep at night you are too sluggish to think of eating anything healthy. Instead, you just want a quick snack, which happens to be something fried, salty or sugary most of the times.
- Fewer hours of sleep slow down your metabolism
If you don’t get the right amount of sleep for a few days, no issue, you may even end up losing some weight. But the tables are likely to turn quickly if you remain away from bed for too long.
Why does that happen?
When you remain sleep deprived for too long it causes a lot of behavior and hormonal changes in your body. Your body then starts to increase the levels of hormones like cortisol and insulin. These hormones are directly linked to increased fat deposition and slowing your metabolism.
What is the solution?
The solution to avoid all of this trouble is to get enough sleep. When talking of sleep, the quality of sleep often gets neglected. You should get enough sleep that is of good quality too.
A good quality sleep means the kind of sleep that is uninterrupted and after which you don’t wake up feeling awful.
In terms of the quantity of sleep, you should make sure you get 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep daily. It is also important that you try to sleep at the same time every day. If your sleep pattern gets disturbed once, it may cause a lot of trouble down the line.
Some tips on getting the right amount of good quality sleep
Here are some tips that can help you get good quality sleep every day.
- Fix a go to bed time: As mentioned before, you should try to fix a go to bed time. This would save you from snacking in the middle of the night and you would wake up the next day with a new wave of energy.
- Use your bed for sleep only: You should use your bed for sleep only and try to avoid turning it into your area of work. This way, you will associate your bed with sleep and fall asleep soon after you get on it.
- Avoid eating or drinking anything before bed: You should try to eat or drink anything at least 2-3 hours before going to bed. Once in bed, you may feel the urge to go to the washroom. Also, eating before bedtime would increase your stomach acid and you might wake up in the middle of the night with heartburn.
- Don’t drink coffee or tea before bedtime: These beverages not only make you feel dehydrated but also increase your urge of going to the washroom in the middle of the night.
- Get some exercise in the afternoon: Instead of popping sleeping pills, you should try to do exercise or yoga a few hours before going to bed. This will make your body relaxed and you would sleep well.
- Try a hot bath before bed: That is something that can help you a great deal, especially during the winter season. A hot bath relaxes your muscles and helps you fall asleep quickly.
- Listen to comforting music or read a book: These things can also help you relax and fall asleep quickly.
For additional information to lose weight and weight management talk to a professional or have a look here.
How to Get Involved
Sleep enough and live a healthy life.