My life has experienced a wind of change thanks to the use of technology. I grew to embraced technology while in secondary school. I acquired the basic computer knowledge, skills and eventually enrolled in six months of computer training to improve the skills. After this training, a friend introduced me to the internet then, I created my first email address. The whole thing became interesting as I could in any cyber café chat with a friend from a distance. As days go by, more innovations in technology continue to increase, causing me to advance my knowledge in using the internet. Internet services became more affordable with the introduction of android mobile data by telecommunications companies. I could access the internet at any time of the day and every way provided there was money to procure data. I continue to explore the global village for further personal development.
However, it will be an understatement to deny the fact that technology has transformed my life. With the use of social media, I am breaking barriers to easy and effective communication. The availability of manual and android phone have replaced letter writings which usually take weeks or months to reach the receiver. Throughout my university studies, I made quality use of online libraries to carry out all my academic research. Technology has connected me to prestigious platforms where I have encountered inspiring, encouraging followers, and make my voice heard. The internet has given visibility to my work and exposes me across borders. Further, with technology, I can access any type of information I want without being displaced and equally identify verifiable or accurate content. Also, am fully aware of the cyber-crimes or violations women are often faced with as they use the internet.
It is equally important to note that, many women have benefited directly and indirectly from transformation. I try my maximum best to share with other women useful information and opportunities that empower them, Encourages women to go digital, Educate women on how to create their safe space or environment while using social media, Improve women’s skills on e-marketing, online payment mechanisms, and use of cryptocurrency.
Consequently, being optimistic about technology I still continue to face some challenges. They include;
- Sexual violence (harassment).
- Limited internet data or connection.
- Internet shutdowns by government.
- Inadequate skills to explore the internet, and use some computer software and accessories.
- Limited access to quality gadgets.
To all the powers that be and carry out work related to women, gender equality, and digital technology, I recommend that;
- More ITC centres for women and girls should be created.
- The government should provide free Internet services for all.
- Internet should be protected and victims of cyber-crime tracked and punished.
- More digital training workshops should be organized for women and girls.
- Women should be recruited or appointed into key positions in the telecommunication sector.
- Women should be sensitized on the importance of technology and be encouraged to attain training.
Finally, technology has turned a new page in my life and I will continue to build the digital capacity of women for technology is a world of possibilities and opportunities for women empowerment and equality.