As I write, it's 1:04 a.m. in Nigeria. In the stillness and calmness of the silence around me, I listened to and could distinctly pick out three thrilling sounds from out in the dark:chirping crickets, barking neighborhood dogs and squeaks of bats. Each sound continuosly reminded me of the prowess of nature- 'Mother Earth'.
I have been counting down to 22 April 2015. Yes, today is 'Earth Day' and the theme for this year is “It’s Our Turn to Lead.” For so many reasons I am sure many will appreciate, why I prefer to go with 'International Mother Earth Day'.
The questions on my mind that are begging for answers include :
- How many people the world over actually realise and appreciate how so motherly the Earth is to humanity?
- Who on earth has not benefitted from the motherly nature of the Earth?
- Why does humanity choose to ignore Mother Earth's needs even when we see and know what to do to make her happy?
- How much longer can Mother Earth bear the excesses of the very children she longs to sustain?
- We know we cannot do without Mother Earth's nurturing, so why can't we nurture her in return?
- How many people would take a stand for Mother Earth today?
We have individual and collective responsibilities towards Mother Earth. Each one of us can start to take action and then motivate others to follow suit. The positive steps we take and every seemingly little gifts we offer 'Mother Earth' all adds up! Let's start now!!!
As a mark of honor for today's Earth Day celebration, I share with you, a profile of myself-http://www.gwln.org/profiles-of-impact/olanike-olugboji/?rq=earth%20day, which was pieced together by the Global Women's Leadership Network (GWLN) team. I hope it inspires you to commit to the good cause of environmental sustainability. Let's listen to, stir and lead the much needed change Mother Earth craves for. Happy 'International Mother Earth Day'!
You are welcome to inspire our group with stories, pictures, and or video(s) of how you or others in your community are contributing to or leading change in the drive for environmental sustainability.