With widows in Nigeria, situation is improving though there is still a long way to go. For example:
- Mourning period now 3 – 6 months instead of 1 – 2 years
- Widow inheritance are minimized as the in-laws are now more interested in property
- Property inheritance now being decided by the court of law if a case is made against in-laws
- Widows not seating or sleeping on bare floor or mat, and not eating with broken plates
- Laws being made by State Legislators, though not easy to enforce
Changes are slow and not in all communities, nor in all instances. Lots need to be achieved. Not many are privileged and many are in poverty.