How new systems entrench and replicate inequalities in educational development

Kris Rampersad
Posted June 12, 2020 from Trinidad and Tobago
How the internet is institutionalising learning inequities
Less than 20 percent of the world and mainly the developed world has access to Google's partner programmes

The Corona Virus Pandemic has thrust education to refocus on online learning. But for this, many societies, especially in the developing world are placed at a disadvantage because of underdeveloped educational content. Even for those who are learning content creators, do you know that less than 20 percent of the world has access to Google partner programmes. This reduces access to opportunities to monetise work and treats much of the developing world as consumers rather than creators...    #shetransformstech read more: https://krisrampersad.com/dear-google-my-birthday-wish-for-knowledge-equ...

Comments 10

Log in or register to post comments

Hello, Dr. Kris,

How are you doing? Happy birthday! It is so brave of you to write Google an Open Letter. Thank you for speaking out! Please let us know if Google replied.

Have a great day!

Kris Rampersad
Jun 12
Jun 12

thanks for your well wishes. You can help motivate google into responding by sharing the letter. Cheers

Chi8629
Jun 12
Jun 12

Hello Beautiful Sister,
Thank you for sharing .
You are special to us.

Julie Desai
Jun 13
Jun 13

I agree. Also the fact that in developing world if you want to reach out to most vulnerable , there is need to create content in local languages for online platform.

Ellie E.
Jun 15
Jun 15

Thank you for sharing! What a creative way to bring attention to an issue.

Beth Lacey
Jun 18
Jun 18

Yes, this is such a challenging situation- very difficult to solve. I have read that some World Pulse sisters are trying to crack this, I I wish them all well.

Anita Shrestha
Jun 18
Jun 18

Thank you for sharing

Olanike Adesanya
Jun 23
Jun 23

Exactly so.
Inability to access internet, due to lack of awareness, poverty level, inadequate power supply and frequent outages leave many of our children out of zoom classes and other form of internet aided study during the Covid-19 pandemic stay at home.
While only about 60% are able to access online communication with instructors, the other 40% Are locked out at lockdown in most parts of Sub-Sahara region of Africa.
I write from Nigeria.

Catherine De Freitas

Hello Dr. Rampersad,

It is such a pleasure to meet you here. :) I share your concern. A great challenge and the impact it is having on our students. What can we do to further support? Looking forward to hearing from you. Blessings.

Kabahenda
Jun 26
Jun 26

Dr Kris,

Your birthday wish shows how much you care about education for all not just the privileged few.

It is my hope that that Google grants you your wish.

What a great day that will be!

Please keep us updated and continue the good work. All the best.

In sisterhood