So far we have done a successful awareness campaign through workshops with parents and children as well as using the radio local station to reach a wider audience. The SMS exchange is proving very vital in the campaign since it ensures confidentiality. Many young people use it.
- We are unable to set up the local committees within the community since people are not really willing to work as a team
- The local focal persons we trained are very willing to work but need more skilled training on key issues which we are unable to give them at the moment
- We are facing persecution from some community leaders (religious and quarterheads) and some parents as well. They believe we are causing confusion and teaching children immorality.
- We are unable to continue the radio talk show though we have a good audience since the period given by the station manager for free has elapsed
- We are unable to adequately help parents as well as young people with particular problems who need counseling, support or be referred.
In order to keep our campaign running it is imperative to solve the problems outlined above. In this light we need the following:
- Resources (human and material) to equip the willing focal persons to carry out the function of educating and coordinating SRHR discussions in their areas
- We urgently need to produce a video documentary with testimonies of victims of violation of SRHR as well as parents' challenges to serve as prove of an existing problem
- We need sponsors for our radio talk shows and also connectivity to be able to maintain the SMS exchange program
- We need to set up a space to serve as a social clinic ready every working day to receive parents and young people who need something more then our outreach offers.
Thank you all for following up the work we do