The most ethereal time period in a woman's life is Pregnancy. Special care is advised in this fragile time to all the expecting mothers. Expecting mother should take extra care of themselves, be it regarding personal hygiene, lifestyle or food. As a twin body and soul, all expecting mothers should particularly take special care when it comes to food. Whatever the mother is consuming, is affecting the baby inside her.
Baby Gets the food
The baby is attached to the mother through the umbilical cord and placenta. The baby get its nutritional nourishment from the blood of the mother that comes through the placenta and is transferred to the baby through the umbilical cord.
So, whatever goes inside the body of the mother, is consumed by the baby as its food through placenta.
It is strictly advised to the expecting mothers to take proper nutritional guidance during pregnancy. The Gynecologists and Nutritionists play a major role in providing nutritional guidance to the expecting mothers.
An expecting mother should be self-aware and literate during pregnancy and should do proper research about what to consume and what NOT TO consume during this fragile period.
Food Types Pregnant Women should NOT EAT.
This article will provide a thorough researched, most essential 5 food Types Pregnant Women should NOT EAT. These ‘A BIG NO’ food types cater Food and Beverages.
- Caffeine Caffeine consumption in pregnancy is highly dangerous and should therefore be strictly avoided by pregnant women. Research says that psychological and physiological effect of caffeine is same as that of alcohol. Pregnant women should not consume more than 2-3 cups a day of caffeine. It is normally believed blindly that tea and coffee are the only beverages which contain caffeine, which is totally wrong. Other than tea and coffee, cocoa, chocolate,ice cream and frozen yogurt contains caffeine. Caffeine consumption in pregnancy can affect the baby’s development in gestation phase of pregnancy and can also cause birth weight.
- Processed Meat and other Processed JunkFood and beverages The procedure of processing food and beverages is the complete mechanical and chemical transformation of food and beverages from agricultural form to processed form. This process leaves the food with many mechanical residues and chemicals. Such foods and beverages are extremely dangerous for fetus. pregnant women should highly avoid such food. junk food leads to weight gain , which can cause complications at the time of birth. It can lead to overweight babies, which can lead to obesity in adulthood in such children.
- Alcohol Without a doubt, alcohol should be highly avoided by pregnant women. Alcohol can highly affect not only birth process, often leading to stillbirth and miscarriagebut also affects the newly born brain.
- Undercooked or Raw food organic or raw form of food contains toxic bacteria in it which can be dangerous to both the baby and the expectant mother. There are different types of raw food which include a. raw eggs b. raw or undercooked meat
Raw egg contains a bacteria called Salmonella, which can cause diarrhea, vomiting nausea in mother. The bacteria can also cause cramps in the uterus which can severely affect the fetus often causing stillbirth and premature birth. So raw eggs, be it in the form of poached eggs, half scrambled eggs, cake icings, homemade mayonnaise or even salad dressings are a BIG NO for expecting mothers.
- Raw Fish and Fish With High Mercury Component Fish is the best form of iron and omega 3 fatty acids consumption food along with several other nutritional components, except the ones containing high mercury component in them. Fish which contain high levels of mercury are as follows: 1. Orange roughy 2. King Mackerel 3. Swordfish 4. Shark 5. Yellowfin Tuna 6. Bigeye Tuna 7. Tilefish
High mercury consumption can cause abnormalities in fetus development. In pregnant women, high levels of this toxic mercury affects the nervous system, kidney and even the immune system.
Raw fish should also be avoided in pregnancy period. Norovirus and Toxic bacteria like Salmonella and Listeria is present in raw fish which can lead to lethal results for the fetus. Pregnant women are thus advised to avoid sushi dishes and shellfish during pregnancy. Hence pregnant women should maintain a healthy and nutrition filled lifestyle during the pregnancy period to avoid any difficult situations.