Thanks to the development of the field of Communications and Information Technology, the entire world is a single village. We share news and interact with each other through social media, build friendships and learn about the latest innovations in science that promise to increase the quality of life for everyone.
My name is Samia Al Sayed and I am an Information Technology engineer, specializing in the medical automation field for 10 years. I can’t hide how much this technology has made my life easier and how many obstacles it has helped me to overcome.
I am a disabled person with both of my legs affected by polio. My utilization of technology and communication techniques has helped me achieve lots of successes in my work, which is borne out by the testimony of everyone around me. In fact, I am considered successful and a superior employee.
I have organized many initiatives for women and girls in my local community, focusing on the need for community integration, social and economic empowerment, and entry into the labor market. The use of communication technology has had a lot of impact on the success of our projects:
- The internet makes it easy for everyone to communicate with each other. Most of our meetings are via the web.
- We use Facebook pages to inform about our activities and to raise awareness of our issues.
- We also market our women's products and sell them through social media and have been able to access some foreign markets.
Some of the problems we face:
- Assistive technologies for women with disabilities, such as deaf and blind people, are not accessible to everyone, especially at the present time because of Syria’s wars and current conflicts.
- Communications Technology is still expensive and not accessible to all.
- We must continue to raise awareness to increase the number of girls who study the techniques of computer science and communications as males are still the majority in this area.
For me, in my field, I am trying to be a good example for women around me. Along with some friends, I have started an initiative to train about 200 young nurses in the hospital where I work in computer science during the six coming months. There is great demand and desire to learn.
My story with technology may be simple but I hope it inspires many people to enter the technology field and study this science, which is advancing rapidly. We need to double our efforts to catch up.Girls in ICT Day