Today marks Maher Ashram's http://www.maherashram.org/18th Anniversary. On this day in 1997, Sister Lucy Kurien and the Maher Board of Directors took a leap of faith, embodying Dr.Martin Luther King’s quote,“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Eighteen years ago, they could not have known that Maher would grow to:
- 34 homes in 3 Indian states,
- provide care & shelter 1,100 children, women & men on any given day,
- make it possible for so many children to be the first in their families to attend and complete primary and secondary school,
- support 530 self-help groups of 10 to 20 members in surrounding villages,
- inspire people around the world with their commitment to love, interspiritual harmony, & justice.
In 2010, I spent five transformative months at Maher and now more than ever I am convinced that Maheris a shining example of Margaret Mead’s famous quotation,“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
I am grateful for Sr. Lucy's bold vision and for all around the world who support Maher's work. I would enjoy learning about women who have made bold moves that inspire you or about a bold move you have made.