My name is Uche Linda Okpala (Mrs.) I had my first degree in Banking/Finance. but am always so passionate about Technology. so during my compulsory National youth Service corps in Nigeria, that was when my love for Technology sprung out. My cousin borrowed me his Laptop which i used to explored a lot of stuff and learnt many things, it became a source of income to me because i was using for business to select both Mp3 formats, Videos and films in peoples Mp3 players, PSP, Mobile and laptops.
This is how my journey into ICT world started. I developed myself more on the New Technologies. I got a teaching job in Accounting department, but it happened that the school in question has over 50 desktop computers which were in the state of redundancy because they don't have a competent Teachers to be using at the moment, i didn't allow that opportunity to pass me by, so i discussed with the management about how we could put those system in use, and furthermore, they were computing student's results manually, i told them that we are in the era of technology that we have to move with it, I was so fortunate that R.Y Audu (JP) the former principal of Federal Government College Daura, Katsina state Nigeria agreed to my proposal and that was how the entire college changed from Manual students results to computerized results. I really overworked myself up to see the positive change in that school, Glory be to God, the story has become history now.
1. Having to convinced parents to allow their wards to participate fully in the ICT learning activities (Some sees it as a Sin because of their beliefs and religion)
2. Non-stability of power and Internet/data subscription
3. Lack of ICT Gadgets (Projectors, Screens, External backup batteries, Microphone and speakers)
My Achievements so far:
1. Am now the Head of ICT, i trained both students and the Teachers on the use of ICT
2. I created a Database of school, computerized students results, The students can access their results online and we equally have a school website.
3. Am now a Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert, Skype Master Teacher and a Master Trainer
4. I integrated with the new Technologies and Incorporated them into the classroom
5. I trained students, Teachers and youths on how to become a Digital and Global citizens
6. I trained Teachers, students, schools, Individuals on how to incorporate Technologies in their classrooms by using: Code builders, Minecraft in Education, Microbits to make Teaching and learning environments to become more more fun and interesting.
7. I engaged my students with Global projects, they participated and executed a projects which centered on STE(A)M, Problem base Learning (PBL), Sustainable development Goals (SDGs)
8. In 2014, the school nominated me to be among the Teachers that would be qualify to teach Computer science in the Federal colleges sponsored by the Federal Ministry of Education for a Computer professional courses, Training and Exams. I passed the Exams and am now a member of Computer Professional council of Nigeria.
9. In March 2019, I was among the (80) Eighty Microsoft Innovative Educator Experts from Middle East Africa who won a scholarship to attend annual Microsoft Education Exchange in Paris - France from 1st - 5th April, 2019.
10. Am now a change maker, ICT advocate and campaigner, a Global Educator, established Digital Girls club in my school.
ICT is the way forward! I have a platform where i teach about Cultural exchange via Skype, Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
My mission as a Teacher in ICT world is to inculcate 21st century learning skills into my learners, to empower, inspire, Motivates my learners to have enthusiastic attitude towards teaching and learning environment, to have a technological drive for them to become a member of work force, Digital and Global citizens, to collaborates, Communicates, to be creative, critical thinkers and to become a problem solvers among their peer groups.
Thank you World pulse for this opportunity to amplify my voice to the world.