I thought this was a good overview of the process to get the GWLN participants engaged in the online community and eventually working collaborative to solve problems. I particularly like the stepwise representation. I know from my online classes that there is a progression and it is important to provide structured activities to walk newcomers through each step, until they "get it".
5 Stages from http://www.atimod.com/e-tivities/5stage.shtml
- Access & Motivation - exploring the technology and access to it. Winning the learner's trust, motivating participants
- Socialisation - social processes and 'community building'
- Information Exchange - exchanging information and performing tasks, interaction with the course content and with other participants and the moderator
- Knowledge Construction - knowledge development, discussion activities and group dynamics
- Development - reflection and group learning