ABOUT WORLD PULSE
WORLD PULSE is an action media network powered by women from 190 countries. We believe that when women are heard, they will transform the world.
Our mission is to lift and unite women’s voices to accelerate their impact for the world. Through our growing web-based platform, women are speaking out and connecting to create solutions from the frontlines of today’s most pressing issues. With a focus on grassroots women change leaders, our programs nurture community, provide media and empowerment training, and broadcast rising voices to influential forums.
World Pulse was founded as a non-profit social media enterprise in 2003 by Jensine Larsen, an international journalist who reported on indigenous movements and ethnic cleansing in South America and Southeast Asia. With a core team based in Portland, Oregon, World Pulse works with hundreds of volunteers from around the world and is supported by an international community of grassroots women leaders, contributing members and visionary philanthropists.
Africa Team Lead
Reports to: Community and Training Program Manager
Works directly with: WWA Project Manager, Community and Training Team, Content Team, Technology Team, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Marketing Manager
Oversees: Online Community Volunteers
The Africa Team Lead works closely with key team members to help ensure the success of our online community, current and future. The Africa Team Lead works closely with the Community and Training Program Manager to implement, promote, support and grow the online programs supporting our African community. He or she is a point person within the online community. This role sets the tone within the community, helps facilitate and teach, generates action and engagement and responds to questions and concerns that arise from our community. This role also works closely with Technology to ensure program changes to the website occur in a timely fashion.
Candidates should be passionate about World Pulse’s mission, possess an outgoing and encouraging nature, have experience organizing and directing volunteers, have excellent communication and writing skills, and enjoy empowering others to actualize and vocalize their visions for a better world. We also look for candidates who are comfortable with technology and excited about the possibilities that technology creates for connecting and movement building. Candidates must be fluent in French with strong preference given to those who have experience working or living in Africa. Swahili, Spanish and Arabic speakers are also very desirable.
Online stewardship and moderation
- Steward strategic thinking, planning and implementation for mainstreaming our French speaking community.
- Start and support an Africa Regional Group in collaboration with Maman Shujaa.
- Support the Women and the Web Alliance Project, including representing our community at key partnership meetings, participating in project-related calls and collaborating with the team to train and support project participants.
- Support the systemization and scaling of community recruitment, engagement and retention.
- Facilitate online community building and connections. This includes cultivating a community culture of safety, collaboration and support as well as generating activity and excitement within our online community.
- Develop and update toolkits and guidelines to support the online community with a specific focus on cultural responsiveness.
- Maintain an active presence and interaction in the World Pulse online community.
- Maintain the security of the online community by checking community content regularly to moderate where necessary, block and unpublish spam.
- Act as a bridge between WP staff and community to ensure culturally responsive strategies and internal understanding of community needs.
- Support training and onboarding of online volunteers. This may include co-facilitation and/or leading trainings.
- Manage community nominations for strategic opportunities and awards.
- Respond to community-related customer service questions and issues promptly, and work with IT to resolve any technical issues.
- Research and stay abreast of trends and best practices in online community management.
- Manage a team of World Pulse community leaders to ensure continued engagement and participation in World Pulse programs and initiatives. These could include French-speaking volunteers, volunteer translators and WWA mentors.
- Supervise, engage, and support online volunteers. Help to develop our new mentor model and training for mentors.
- Oversee and develop strategy for French translation program.
- Help identify and cultivate success stories (breaking stories, opportunities, emerging leaders, etc.) and support nominations of community members for opportunities.
- Manage digital assets.
- Provide technical support for the online community program: some HTML, web page updating, spam blocking, maintenance.
- Investigate and support product development to enhance user experience in the online community.
- Contribute to meeting of network/traffic growth goals by collaborating with Content Team for social media efforts.
- Database Management: Log of records of volunteers, success stories, etc. for online training programs and Online Community.
- Assist with monitoring and evaluation.
- Assist with data entry.
- Support grant writing and reporting.
- Be an active presence in the World Pulse online community.
- Participate in events and represent World Pulse.
- Participate in weekly team meetings.
- Actively participate in strategic planning sessions.
- Adhere to and understand role in safety and security guidelines.
- Willingness to consistently exemplify World Pulse core values through actions, speech and written communication.
- As a global organization, team members must be available occasionally to conduct work outside of PST office hours with prior notice.
- Actively contribute to a positive working environment that fosters honesty, professionalism, creativity and caring.
- Ensure the integration of programs with all other departments, capitalizing on areas for collaboration.
QUALIFICATIONS & Attributes
The key attributes for this position include:
- Non-profit experience.
- Online learning, training and outreach experience.
- Experience in developing countries.
- Knowledge in women’s empowerment and gender programing (especially useful is any knowledge of Economic Empowerment, Environment and Climate Change, Technology and Gender-Based Violence).
- Knowledge of new media and citizen journalism sectors.
- Knowledge of women’s empowerment through technology and strong technology background.
- Attention to detail and deadlines.
- Strong ability to bring together different stakeholders towards a unified vision.
- Volunteer engagement and management experience.
- Strong ability to create and foster partnerships.
- High level of professionalism and responsibility.
- Ability to deal with uncertainty and work under tight deadlines.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal office hours as needed.
- Ability to contribute individually and participate in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to be personable, humorous, humble, bold and encouraging in an online community.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable with online learning environments.
- Strong skills in communicating World Pulse mission as well as maintaining World Pulse editorial style in communications with stakeholders.
- Cross-culturally responsive.
- French language speaker-fluent.
- Spanish, Swahili and/or Arabic.
- Experience in creating or maintaining websites/blogs.
- Knowledge of Skype and other online communication services.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Africa Team Lead Application in the subject line by Friday, October 30th, 5:00 PM (PST). You must be authorized to work in the United States to be eligible for hire.
Equal Opportunity Employment
World Pulse is an equal opportunity employer. The WP Organization has an ongoing commitment to the creation of a workplace free of discrimination and harassment. The Company recruits, hires, trains, and promotes individuals in all job titles without regard to race, color, sex, religion, ancestry, sexual orientation, transgender status, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition or conditions pregnancy, veteran status, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, height, weight, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law. WP does not make any employment decisions based on protected class status. At World Pulse, we are committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise of special needs at the time of hire.