Hello World Pulse !
As I had planned with my team, we collected quotes from women especially young ladies on how they see themselves and will challenge gender stereotypes. So yesterday morning, 8th March 2018, we flooded our Instagram and Facebook handles with the powerful quotes of these ladies. I was excited as many of them penned short notes underneath their posts on how much confidence they have discovered and how very ready they are willing to press for progress in their different fields of endeavor.
An unfortunate incident was when the school we planned to visit to host the health seminar cancelled on us a day before. We refused to allow the disappointment of the news dampen our Women's day joy. In good spirit we have postponed the teenage health seminar towards the end of term, when many schools would be through with their examinations. We believe by then speaking to our growing females would be more relaxed and impacting for them.
I also attended a Women's day event at the University where i am currently pursuing my Masters in philosophy. It was organized by the English department and i took home salient points to note on how we can press for progress.
1. Treat girls and boys as equals.
2. Husbands and wives should take turns in caring for the children. Thereby calling for role reversals sometimes in the home.
3. Women should start more support groups for women.
4. Women should encourage other women to participate in politics and leadership.
5. Cultural practices that put women at risk should be re-accessed and it can only happen when women question some of these systems.
6. Women in the media should put out a better representation of their fellow women.
7. Women should patronize and encourage women entrepreneurs.
8. We as women should quit body shaming and stigmatizing the other, on issues bordering; health, physique and other life choices.
In totality,we can only press for progress when we support the other and are sensitive to the plight of a fellow woman.
However, I share with you some of the quotes we received, believing it would spur every feminine person who reads it.
They are words on marble.
One Love World Pulse.