My career in Civil Society activities started in 2004 during my NYSC when I was trained by UNICEF/ARFH/NYSC on HIV/AIDS, Reproductive and sexual health for young people. I became a Peer Educator Trainer (PET) and master trainer. I also volunteered with Kids and Teen Resource Center, Akure as a programme officer. I trained and mentor 40 girls in Federal Government Girls’ College, Akure, Ondo State for the period of my youth service and organized outreaches in secondary schools within the LGA. As a volunteer, I received several capacity building trainings from VSO especially on Volunteer Recruitment and Management. During this period, I write the book - Healthy approach towards HIV/AIDS, Prevention, Care and Support.
Spent 8years with Human Support Services, a Non Governmental Organization based in Festac, Lagos as the Documentation and Programme Officer for 5 years and Monitoring and Evaluation Officer for 3years. We carried out several projects funded by International Development Partners. Some projects with track able records are Budget Tracking with Ikeja LGA, funded by Actionaid Nigeria, Irregular Migration among Young People (18th month project), in partnership with The Rule of Law, Poland funded by EU/UNDP, Danger of Irregular Migration (6months project), funded by Institute for Public and Policy Research, UK, Election Violence Campaign (3months) funded by Oxford University and several more. Also, conducted several research with other organizations among them was the Child Right Situation Analysis in twelve states of Nigeria. I was the coordinator for Akwa Ibom, Enugu and Imo State – supported by SOS Children Villages, Nigeria. I mobilized groups of men, women and young people for focus group discussion (FGD) with support of existing NGOs in those state. I had the opportunity to attend several capacity building trainings relevant to my career in development sector.
I worked with Insight Health Consulting Ltd for 1year as the Technical Associate, consulting for various development partners including PATHS2/DIFD- carried out assessment of Health facilities. Assessment of HIV/AIDS vulnerability in Nigerian Prison - World bank/NACA, Training of 70 Custom Officers on Peer Education Training and HIV/AIDS
In the past 5years, I have been working as a CSO partner with the State Accountability and Voice Initiative (SAVI), a DFID funded programme in Lagos State. I serve as the coordinator of Partnership for Good Governance (PaGG) and Secretary of Lagos State Gender Advocacy Team (LASGAT). Both Advocacy Partnership is supported by DFID through it State Accountability and Voice Initiative (SAVI) which is a 5year programme (2010-2015). My engagement with SAVI also extends to other DFID in the state like: SPARC, GEMS3, PATHS2, DEEPEN and SAVE the Children
PaGG- The goal of the partnership is to support improved quality and equitable service delivery at the Local Government Level. The initiative started with 3 pilot LGAs in Lagos State (Ibeju Lekki, Amuwo Odofin and Eti Osa). Presently, the partnership is engaging 14 LGAs on Participatory Budget Development and ensures community input to the budget. Also, the Partnership serves as a key partner to Save the Children, Lagos in its Stop Diarrhea Initiative (SDI) as a member of the Advocacy and Campaign Coalition (ACC) in Somolu LGA and Bariga LCDA – a 4years project. The partner is also responsible for supervising the PLACO group at community level. The strength of the partnership lies in effective advocacy to policy makers, community engagement, budget analysis and sound working relationship with the local government.
LASGAT -Since its formation has been taking the led of creating massive awareness on domestic violence in Lagos State through it one week of action. Through advocacy, they have been engaging key stakeholders and MDAs in Lagos State to achieve it aim of giving voice to women in Lagos State. They have also be engaging political women leaders on Gender and Social Inclusion through their 7 point “ASK’ (charter).
PATHS2/DFID – I also serve as CSO consultant with Partnership for Transforming Health System (PATHS2) under the Voice and Accountability to engage various PHCs in Lagos State, participate in local government health plan development and monitoring, work with their local technical assistance to conduct community scorecard at various PHCs, advocacy for SDRF in the PHCs, conduct assessment of the maternal and child services, engage the Ward Health Committees and Community Groups to support the PHCs, participate in the sensitization of Danger Signs in pregnancy and other engagement.
I have undertaken several online certificate courses from International Institutions and Organizations. Some of them are:
- Logistics for Health Commodities, Global Health ELearning Center, October 8th 2009
- Fostering Change in Health Services, Global Health ELearning Center, November 6, 2009
- Basics of Health Economics (Cohort 3), World Bank Institute (February 17 – March 24, 2010)
- Introduction to Management in Public Health from the University of Minnesota, School of Public Health, (May 18th 2010),
- Translating Data into Public Health Priorities, University of Minnesota, School of Public Health, (May 18th 2010),
- Diploma in Psychology, Advance Learning Interactive Systems Online (ALISON),Ireland, 2011
- Date Quality, Global Health ELearning Center, June 15th 2011
- Project Management, EU/UNDP online Course, April 2011
- Program Development & Evaluation, New York New Jersey Public Health Training Center, May 5, 2011 (online certificate program)
- Project Management, EU/UNDP online Course, April 2011
- The Fight against Corruption by United Nations Convention against Corruption. June 5th 2013
- Gender-Sensitive Governance Course by Gender Hub and Voices for Change, February 2015.
Personal Skills and Competency
- Report Writing and Documentation – I write activity reports and all partnership reports. Design information materials, serve as rapparteur and note taker in various programmes. Some of these reports are published.
- Facilitation and Presentation - sound in facilitating participatory workshops for various peer groups with lots of energizers, role play, game, group work, brainstorming etc.
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research – KII, focus group discussion
Presently, I am the Executive Director of Grassroot People and Gender Development Center, a non governmental organization based in Lagos and member of SAVI advocacy partnership. Our Mission is to improve the lives of vulnerable groups especially women, youth and children by increasing awareness on emerging issues through participatory and innovative programs for sustainable and inclusive development. Also, advocating for policies to protect and provide equal rights and opportunities for all citizens.
My Vision for the Future
An empowered society with equal opportunity for women and men
- women deliver
- Development Voice
- Grassroot People and Gender Development Center
- Voices of Women Worldwide
- Face book Page
- Skill Page
My Topic Interests
- Economic Empowerment
- Gender-based Violence
- Human Rights
- Men and Boys
- Technology & Innovation
My Region Interests
- Sub-Saharan Africa