When World Pulse editors consider stories for publication, we look for new, creative, and innovative pieces that have the power to move audiences and create change.
As you select your topic and craft your piece, keep the following questions in mind. But don’t be intimidated! World Pulse editors work closely with those we select as Featured Storytellers to craft polished stories that have the power to reach a broad, global audience.
- Do you have a personal connection to the topic? We love first person narratives—your story in your own words. You can also tell someone else’s story, but please make sure you have permission to use their experiences in your contribution. Consider exploring what makes this story so important to you.
- Is your story solutions-oriented? Even when addressing difficult topics, solutions-oriented stories shine light in the darkness. We seek stories that help readers, viewers, and listeners connect with our power to create change in the world.
- Does your story amplify voices and perspectives that are underrepresented in global media?We look to publish stories that are unheard and surprising. We aim to shed light on important issues that are rarely discussed.
- Is your story true and original?We are interested in your unique voice and contributions to global conversations. World Pulse does not publish plagiarized content, and rarely publishes fictional stories. For poetry and creative submissions, we look for honest and authentic portrayals.
- Does your story engage the senses? We love descriptive language, and we welcome multimedia including photography, illustrations, video, and audio.
- Is your story focused and organized? Consider focusing around a specific turning point, moment, or scene to tell your story. If you have many ideas, consider submitting several stories rather than trying to fit everything in one contribution.
- Is your story easy to understand and share? Avoid jargon and acronyms, and explain any technical language or terms your audience may not be familiar with. While there is no strict word limit, most of the stories we publish are between 500 and 1500 words. For video, consider submissions that are short, no more than 5 minutes.
The best way to learn about what we publish is to read through previously published stories from our Featured Storytellers.
Thank you for sharing your story on World Pulse!