When World Pulse editors select Featured Storytellers, we look for authentic stories that have the power to move audiences and create change.
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind as you write your personal story. Whatever story you have to share, we want to hear from you!
- Do you have a personal connection to the topic? We love first person narratives—your story in your own words. You can also tell someone else’s story, but make sure you have permission to use their experiences in your contribution. Consider exploring what makes this story so important to you.
- Is your story solutions-oriented? Even when addressing difficult topics, solutions-oriented stories shine light in the darkness. We seek stories that help readers, viewers, and listeners connect with our power to create change in the world.
- Is your story true and original? We are interested in your unique voice and contributions to global conversations. World Pulse rarely publishes fictional stories. For poetry and creative submissions, we look for honest and authentic portrayals.
- Does your story engage the senses? We love descriptive language, and we welcome multimedia including photography, illustrations, video, and audio.
- Is your story focused and organized? Consider focusing around a specific turning point, moment, or scene to tell your story. If you have many ideas, consider submitting several stories rather than trying to fit everything in one contribution.
- Is your story easy to understand and share? We look for stories that are true and honest. Avoid using acronyms and jargon to help people connect with you personally.While there is no strict word limit, most of the stories we select for publication are between 500 and 1500 words. For video, consider submissions that are short, no more than 5 minutes.
The best way to learn about what we publish is to read through previously published stories from our Featured Storytellers. And remember, World Pulse editors work closely with those we select as Featured Storytellers to craft polished stories that have the power to reach a broad, global audience, so there is no reason to feel intimidated.
Thank you for sharing your story on World Pulse!